The Art Students League of New York Summer 2010 ⏤ Winter 2016
* Continued education in Drawing, Painting, and Mixed Media
San Diego State University San Diego, CA 2004-2008
Bachelors of Arts in Applied Arts and Sciences Cum Laude, with emphasis in Painting and Printmaking, minor in Art History
* Includes three years of hands-on, Studio Arts coursework
University of Salamanca Salamanca, Spain Summer 2003
* 60 hours of completed coursework in conversational and written Spanish
Mixed Media Artist Brooklyn, New York 2008 ⏤ Present
Currently creating original mixed media paintings out of a Brooklyn artist’s studio.
* Have sold commissioned paintings to private individuals professionally for ten years.
* Currently have work exhibited in NYC restaurants, galleries, and model home residences.
* Recognized artist with New York Foundation for the Arts
* Awarded “Artist of the Year 2012” by R.L Gibson’s art blog
* Awarded grand prize by New York Foundation for the Arts for the production of the winning label for Jordan Winery’s 40th Anniversary. Competition open to all New York artists. $7K cash prize granted, and winning label reproduced into limited-edition lithographs.
* Experienced in hand building precision frames, crates, and wiring heavier works for hanging
* Very detail-oriented with paintings, using high-quality materials and archival supplies
Art Handler at the Museum of Modern Art New York City January 2017-Present
Handling of world-renowned artworks for the prestigious New York City Museum
*Duties include the safe packaging, hanging, and transport of multi-million dollar artworks.
*Effectively communicating with large team of full-time art handlers and museum staff to coordinate major install/de-install of shows
Proprietor at Fab Props Brooklyn New York City 2017-Present
Building props for window displays, events, television and film. Clients include Bergdorf Goodman, FAO Schwarz, Marc Jacobs, Crayola, etc.
Fabricator at Geppetto’s Studios Brooklyn, New York October 2015- January 2017
Builder of handmade costumes, puppets, and props for TV/Film in a shop that has been running for 30+ years in NYC.
*Intimate knowledge working with wide variety of tools and materials: foam, wood, adhesives, rubber, pigments, varnishes, interior armature & wiring structures, safe utilization of saws (band, skill, table, tile) and other power tools.
*Working with small team to build detailed products from concept to delivery
*Regular maintenance of large, 4k square-foot studio space
Manager of Artist Estate Sale Brooklyn, New York June 2015- September 2015
Managed a large studio sale of esteemed NYC artist
* Safely handled, maintained, and prepared over 500 ceramic vessels, paintings, and prints for sale.
* Cleaned out entire studio space unassisted, including the safe handling of heavy paintings and fragile ceramics, organizing rubbish removal, preparing the studio for the sale, pricing all items, and providing food during sale
* Oversaw transactions of $20k, all of which benefitted Brooklyn Arts Council
* Properly packaged artwork with my team of art handlers to ensure safe commutes to local customers, and delivered most larger artworks myself.
* Efficiently employed an inventory system to properly connect customers with their artwork
Sing For Hope NYC Volunteer Artist New York, New York Spring 2015
* 2015 "Sing for Hope-Pianos" Artist. One of 50 NY artists selected to paint a mural on a piano. Pianos distributed for three weeks across the five boroughs for public play and later donated to charity.
Personal Artist’s Assistant Brooklyn, New York Fall 2010 ⏤ Fall 2014
Personal assistant and apprentice to renowned New York artist at her Brooklyn studio.
* General maintenance of artist's large, private studio (regular upkeep with kilns, cleanliness of
studio, organization of paints and glazes.)
* Assisted the artist in all details of her personal and public life, which included: scheduling
appointments and meetings, arranging travel, assisting on trips, preparing meals, and running miscellaneous errands
* Experience included the safe handling of the artist's artwork in multiple exhibitions
* Managed the artist's financial endeavors
Glass Jewelry Producer, Allura Designs San Diego, California Spring 2008 ⏤ Summer 2010
Produced and designed a full-line of fused, dichroic glass jewelry for a family-owned business.
* Worked closely with the owner to ensure standards were met to produce highest quality products
* Proficient at producing and firing glass tiles in high-temperature kilns
* Experienced at handling and cutting glass, utilizing tile saws, wet grinders, and industrial-sized,
high-temperature, ceramic kilns
* Oversaw creation of the product from start to finish, including shipping and handling of the finished product safely to the end user
* Gained intimate knowledge of how a successful company operates
2017 Group Staff show, Museum of Modern Art, New York City
2016 “SONYA” Spring Art Walk Open Studio, Clinton Hill NY
2015 “SONYA Fall Show: MERGE” Group Show, The Candy Factory, Clinton Hill, NY
2015 “Fall Small Works Salon Show” Group Show, Greenpoint Gallery, Greenpoint, BK
2014 Selected Artwork Exhibited, Castle Fitzjohns Gallery, Lower East Side
2013 “Burnt Reynolds” Group Show, Loft594, Bushwick, NY
2013 Selected Works Exhibited By NYFA & Warburg Realty, The Park Imperial, 230 West 56th, NYC
2011 Group Exhibition, 3rdEye(Sol)ation Gallery, Brooklyn NY
2010 Selected Work, Winner Of Juror's Choice Award, Museum Of The Living Artist, San Diego CA